Why Is It Important?
Being able to easily retrieve the last array element can be quite useful in a number of different situations. For example, let’s say you have an array of messages and you want to retrieve the most recent message.
How To Do It
There are a few different ways that you can go about getting the last array element in an array.
- The first way is by using the .length property. The .length property returns the number of elements in an array.
So, if we wanted to get the last element in an array with 5 elements, we would do the following:
array[array.length – 1] // returns the last element in the array
- Another way that you can get the last element in an array is by using negative indices. Negative indices start from the end of an array and work their way backwards.
The following is an example of how to get the last element in an array with 5 elements:
array[-1] // also returns the last element in the array
Examples to look at
Let’s take a look at a few examples to see how this works in practice.
const messages = [‘Hi there!’, ‘How are you doing?’, ‘I’m good, thanks for asking!’];
console.log(messages[messages.length – 1]); // I’m good, thanks for asking!
const userIDs = [1234, 5678, 9012];
console.log(userIDs[-1]); // 9012
Practical Use Case Scenario
Now that we’ve seen a couple of examples, let’s take a look at a practical use case scenario where this might come in handy. Let’s say you’re working on a messaging app and you want to display the most recent message at the top of the screen.
In order to do this, you would need to retrieved the last message in the messages array and store it in a variable so that you could display it on screen. You could do this using either of the methods described above.
Who Should Learn It And Why?
Tips To Do It Easily
Here are a few tips that will help make things easier:
1) Practice indexing arrays using positive and negative indices until it becomes second nature.
2) Familiarize yourself with multiple different methods for solving problems like this one so that you can choose the best approach for each individual situation that you encounter.
3) Stay organized and take your time when working through problems like this one so that you don’t get overwhelmed or make any silly mistakes.